Living with a chronic skin condition isn’t easy and it affects every facet of your life. But just because you were born with a certain condition doesn’t mean you have no control over it. In fact, you have much more control than you may think. One woman with eczema discovered just that after completely transforming her life by going vegan.
Victoria’s Lifelong Eczema Battle
Victoria Jinks, a 26-year-old from Britain, had suffered from severe eczema her entire life . The inflammatory skin condition, that leads to redness, blistering, scaling, and thickening of the skin, left her embarrassed to the point that she sometimes couldn’t leave the house.
Victoria had to cover up her irritated skin during hot summer months and skipped work on occasion when her skin got so bad that it bled.
Victoria recalled how difficult it was to grow up with eczema, stating, “I remember lying down and my mum having to grease my entire body every night. I hated having cream put on me constantly and now I’ve developed a phobia of being greasy.” .
She also endured a lot of criticism from those around her and recalled, “People would always say “stop scratching!” And that would aggravate me more than the constant itch on my body.”
Victoria used steroid cream to relieve her eczema, but it never really worked; her skin would always end up worse than it was in the first place . One thing she hadn’t tried, however, was healing her body from within.
Victoria’s sister’s fiancée had been encouraging her to go on a vegan diet for years, and in 2017 she finally decided to give up meat . In late spring this year she made the leap and went fully vegan, and she hasn’t looked back since .
Thanks to her vegan diet, Victoria is now eczema-free for the first time in 10 years and feels “normal”. She now swears by the lifestyle change, and stated, “My skin is completely clear, almost cured. It took around two months to be eczema free but I would never turn back. Just try it! You will feel amazing after the results.”.
You Are What You Eat – An Effective Eczema Cure
The connection between skin health and diet is undeniable, and Victoria’s eczema-free skin is proof of just how important that connection is.
For eczema, in particular, eating certain foods can cause the body to release immune system compounds that trigger flare-ups. Many people with eczema are also diagnosed with food allergies; however, everyone’s sensitivities are different . This means that there is no one diet guaranteed to work for everybody.
If you suffer from eczema, discovering your personal food needs is vital to minimizing symptoms of the condition . To determine foods that cause unwanted reactions, doctors often recommend an elimination diet, which involves avoiding foods known to trigger eczema.
Some common food allergens associated with eczema include cow’s milk, gluten, nuts, fish, shellfish, eggs, and soy products.
9 Other Natural Eczema Remedies
There are also natural, topical remedies that can help relieve the symptoms of eczema. Some of the most effective remedies include:
- Cucumbers: Since this vegetable is 96% water, it effectively hydrates cracked and irritated skin.
- Colloidal Oatmeal: Colloidal oatmeal balances your pH levels and can relieve itching spells.
- Epsom Salts: If you throw these salts in a bath their anti-inflammatory properties can significantly reduce flair ups.
- Aloe Vera: The anti-inflammatory properties and antimicrobial agents present in the leaves of this healing plant help soothe your skin and decrease redness and swelling.
- Coconut oil: This versatile oil is rich in vitamin E and lauric acid, making it the perfect remedy for dry, cracked, red skin.
- Primrose oil: Primrose oil is rich in fatty acids and helps your body to halt the inflammation process.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Vinegar contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that relieve dry skin, inflammation, and itchiness.
- Cannabis Oil: Cannabinoids can help prevent the accumulation of dead skin cells.
- Oregon Grape: This herb inhibits inflammatory responses by slowing down skin cell production.
Victoria’s story proves that there is no harm in trying something new when it comes to eczema. The journey to find your perfect remedy might be a long one, but it will be well worth it in the end. Read this next for a more in-depth look into five all-natural, topical remedies for eczema.