Love handles can be quite difficult to melt, just like with any other type of abdominal fat. Contrary to popular belief, focusing on the abs with targeted exercises for the obliques or with crunches will not reduce fat in this particular area. The key to getting rid of the folds on the back and sides involves comprehensive approach that is based on both dietary changes and high-intensity interval training (HIIT).
Love Handle Workouts in Just 10 Minutes
This routine should be repeated three times a day, with each of the exercises following right after the other. It is recommended to incorporate it in your fitness routine three times weekly.
40 Woodchoppers (20 on each side)
“Using one hand weight, stand with your feet hip-width apart with your weight on your left leg. Start by holding the weight in both hands up by your left shoulder. Next, twist to make a chopping motion down towards your right hip. Allow your feet and knees to pivot with the twist. Raise the weight back up to your left shoulder and repeat for 20 reps. Next, work the right side.”
50 Russian Twists
Sit on the butt with the knees bent and feet flat on the ground. The torso should be leaning back at a 45 angle to the floor. Hold a dumbbell with the hands. Raise the feet from the ground, crossing them at the ankles and balancing on the butt. Twist the torso to the right and touch the dumbbell to the ground. Twist back over the left, touching the weight to the left side of the body.
30 Side Plank Hip Lifts (15 on each side)
“Get into side plank position with your elbow on the ground and your legs and hips resting on the ground. Engaging your abs and keeping your body in a straight line, raise the lower half of your body up off the ground into a straight plank position. Lower again and repeat. Do 15 on your right side, and then 15 on your left side.”
30 Bicycle Crunches
“Lie on your back with your knees bent and your hands behind your head. Do not clasp your hands together. Engage your abs, lifting your shoulders and upper back off of the ground. At the same time, move your right elbow toward your left knee so that they meet in the middle of your body. Next, switch your position by bringing your left elbow to your right knee. Continue as quickly as possible while still keeping your torso raised up off the ground.”
Other Workouts To Help Reduce Love Handles:
In case the 10-minute workout doesn’t work for you, you can try out other workouts, such as burpees, bridges, or the 4-point balance exercise.
Begin by standing with the feet shoulder-width apart, putting the weight on the heels. Bend the knees and lower the body into a squatting position. Put the hands in front of you and shift the weight on the hands. Jump the feet back, landing the balls of the feet in a plank position.
Begin by lying on the back with the hands on the side and the knees bent. The feet should be positioned at shoulder-width. Raise the hips off the floor using the heels. Keep the back straight and exhale as you are raising the hips. Lower the body to the original position while inhaling.
4-Point Balance Exercise
Balance the hand and knees on the surface on a BOSU ball. The back and neck should be kept straight. Reach out the opposite arm and leg simultaneously. Squeeze the core muscles and extend the arm and leg. Go back to the original position and repeat.
The Real Secret to Get Rid of Love Handles? Ditch Sugar
Did you know that up to 80% of your ability to reduce body fat is determined by the foods you eat, with the other 20% related to fat-burning exercise?
With this being said, it becomes more than clear that the following factors are of utmost importance:
- Reducing or eliminating sugar from your diet: (sugar, fructose, grains)
- Increasing healthful fats in your diet like coconut oil and animal-based omega-3s
Do HIIT Two or Three Times a Week for Optimal Fat Burning
It has been scientifically shown that exercising in shorter bursts with rest periods in between burns more fat than exercising continuously for a session. Another important benefit of HIIT is its ability to naturally increase the body’s production of human growth hormone (HGH), also referred to as “the fitness hormone.”