Parsley is widely used herb and it is being added to many different dishes. It is usually used as a garnish, though. It has a very mild flavor and people usually use it to neutralize strong flavors, including oregano and garlic. However, what makes this herb special are its amazing medicinal properties which are widely recognized. Even though parsley is well-known for both nutritional and medicinal properties, people rarely use it in tea. This is quite surprising, as most beneficial herbs are used in teas, which allows the consumers to reap its benefits.
Parsley Tea Benefits
- Reduce Inflammation
Inflammation is one of the most common causes of joint pain and similar conditions, such as osteoarthritis and arthritis. The high vitamin C content in parsley makes it extremely beneficial in treating these issues. Vitamin C has been shown to reduce inflammation, as researchers have found that vitamin C supplements lower CRP levels, type of inflammatory marker.
- Treats Nerve Damage
It has been scientifically shown that parsley works as an effective agent for improving symptoms caused by neurotoxicity. There is a parsley juice related study done on mice that underwent chronic cadmium administration and were experiencing biochemical, histopathological, and behavioral abnormalities. The study has shown that mice treated with parsley juice experienced significant improvement in behavioral changes and received beneficial antioxidant effects.
- Tumor Prevention
Parsley contains myristicin, a compound which effectively inhibits tumor growth. According to a study conducted on the effect of parsley leaf oil on tumor growth in mice, this compound was extremely effective at reducing spread and growth of tumors in lungs and stomach. Mice treated with parsley leaf oil had their tumor inhibited by 31 percent in the fore-stomach and 65 percent in the lungs. According to the researchers, myristicin works as an effective chemopreventive agent.
Additional Benefits of Parsley Tea
- It acts as natural diuretic, fighting off water retention. Note: Water retention is a common sign of kidney problems.
- Being able to cleanse, purify, and flush out toxins, it may help with kidney insufficiency
- It is packed with many vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which make an amazing cleansing tea
- It helps lower cholesterol levels
- It has been long used to lower blood pressure levels
- It is ideal for those who are looking for a way to lose weight and get rid of cellulite
- Its vitamin and mineral content is beneficial for those feeling physically drained
- Fights off anemia, due to its iron content
- Parsley tea treats flatulence
- It helps treat cystitis
- It eliminates bad breath
- When used topically, it treats insect bites, bruises, and skin ulcers
Parsley Tea Recipe
- 3 cups of water
- 4-5 sprigs of parsley
- ¼ or ½ of a lemon
- 1 tsp of honey
- First, bring the water to a low boil.
- Put both parsley and lemon into a cup.
- Pour the hot water into the cup while holding the stems so that they don’t “dive” into the water
- Let it steep for a while before you remove the parsley and lemon
- Finally, add some honey (optional).