Using “Toilet Bombs” is indeed an innovative way to kill bacteria and eliminate odors in the toilet. The idea for this fantastic recipe comes from MariaSself.com, a website that offers many other interesting DIY recipes that you can easily make at your home. You can even buy these bombs at Maria’s site in case you don’t have enough time to make them on your own.
To use the Toilet Bombs, just drop one in the toilet bowl, stand back, and watch how it works. Here is how to make them:
You will need the following ingredients to make 24 bombs:
- 1 1/3 cup Baking Soda (a highly effective cleaning product that can also eliminate bad smell)
- 1/2 cup Citric Acid – (a low-strength acid that can be found in citrus fruits like lemons and oranges. It is commonly added to a variety of kitchen and bathroom cleaners due to its cleaning, whitening, and deodorizing properties)
- 30 drops Peppermint Essential Oil*
- 30 drops Lavender Essential Oil*
- 30 drops Lemon Essential Oil*
*All these essential oils have powerful antimicrobial properties and can destroy odor-causing bacteria. An added BONUS of this combo is that it provides an amazing, pleasant smell.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Use a medical mask while mixing the ingredients
- First of all, put a medical mask on your face.
- Then mix together the citric acid and baking soda.
- Put the essential oil a spray bottle and spray little by little, stirring the mixture at the same time to prevent it from fizzing away. If the mixture is not damp enough, you can add a tiny amount of water in the spray bottle. Yet, be very careful, as excess moisture will make the citric acid fizz and the bombs won’t “explode” when you will use them.
- Put the resulting mixture into silicone molds and let the dry for 6-10 hours. Once the bombs are dry enough, store them in a container with a lid.
How to Use the Toilet Bombs?
As mentioned above, all you need to do is to drop one bomb in the toilet and stand back! The bomb will not explode, of course, but it will fizz a lot, and will make your toilet bowl perfectly clean and free of any harmful bacteria.