A lot of harmful metals were found in various makeup products that turn lipstick into carcinogenic lipstick. Makeup companies make billions of dollars each year. And even if you regularly exercise caution and try to stay away from toxins in your diet, there is still a great chance to find them in your makeup.
Do you regularly check makeup labels? Chances are you don’t. And they are the ones you have to look out the most. The United States government requires no mandatory testing for cosmetic products before they hit the shelves.
Deodorants, shampoo, lipsticks and other products related to personal care usually are not tested for health compliance. Some of them don’t even list their ingredients.
You could be ingesting high amounts of lead if you use the wrong lipstick. If you apply lipstick several times a day, every day, there is a chance you are ingesting alarmingly high amounts of heavy metals like lead.
Remember, you cannot just ingest chemicals. You can also absorb those chemicals through your skin, and this is mainly your makeup’s fault.
Harmful Chemicals that Cause Carcinogenic Lipstick
The Environmental Defense group conducted a study where it tested 49 makeup items for their level of toxic metals. The tested items included:
- Five foundations,
- Eight lipsticks or glosses,
- Four powders,
- Five blushes or bronzers,
- 14 eye shadows,
- Seven mascaras,
- Two eyeliners,
- Four concealers,
The research has shown dangerous levels of contamination in heavy metal in almost every product. Of all the products tested, about 96% had lead based ingredients, 90% had beryllium based ingredients, and 61% had thallium based ingredients. The research also found that 51% of the items had cadmium and 20% had contained arsenic.
Harmful Metals Cause Carcinogenic Lipstick
In average, out of the 8 metals tested, most of the products included four, and every single product tested contained at least two of the four metals that pose the highest health risks. These metals are lead, cadmium, mercury, and arsenic. These metals are highly toxic and pose a significant health threat.
It is worth noting that an FDA report from a couple of years ago, reported 400 different brand models of lipstick that contained some amounts of lead that could be traced. The report concluded that the levels of these metals were too small to pose a health and safety threat, but Dr. Mark Mitchell, from the National Medical Association, says otherwise. He states that
“… lead can build up over time in the body, and if the particular lipstick that contains lead is applied several times per day, it can add up to alarming levels of exposure.”
In the original study from the Environmental Defense group, at least 51% of those items tested had cadmium-based ingredients. Cadmium is known for its carcinogenic properties. Many studies in patients with breast cancer have found amounts of cadmium in their system.
And what is even more concerning is the fact that a lot of the metals here don’t immediately cause problems of a more serious health nature. Instead, they make the body more prone to develop problems in the future. As a result, when used over many years, they can increase the risk of cancer and a lot of other health disorders.
List of carcinogenic lipstick
- (#103c), Stargazer Lipstick
- (#1005 Red Lizard), NARS Semi-Matte
- (#410 Volcanic), L’Oreal Colour Riche
- (#125 Pink Petal), Maybelline Color Sensational
- (#165 Tickled Pink), L’Oreal Colour Riche
- (#580 Ruby Remix), CoverGirl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues
- (#27 Mauvey), Sonia Kashuk Luxury Lip Color
- (#748 Heroic), L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor
- (#025 Warm Brick), CoverGirl Continuous Color
- (#475 Mauve Me), Maybelline Color Sensation
- (#009 Fabulous Fig), Revlon Matte
- (#1009 Funny Face), NARS Semi-Matte
- (#375 Ripened Red), Revlon ColorStay
- (#558 Mad for Mauve), Avon Beyond Color
- (#530 Mauve Amour), L’Oreal Endless
List of non-carcinogenic lipstick
- Rejuva Minerals Pur Lips Lipstick
- Canyon Lipstick
- Maia’s Mineral Galaxy Lipstick
- Coastal Classic Creations
- Organic Infused Lip Love Lipstick
- W3ll People Extreme Lip Gloss
- Isoi Bulgarian Rose Lip Treatment Balm
- Bella Mari Pure Mineral Lipstick