Every day, we come into contact with many different items, and we are often not aware that some of them can have health risks which can accumulate and aggravate over time. We see their labels and read names of chemicals which don’t sound harmful, yet they are. Only after noticing some health issues you will suspect their safety.
Besides them, there are other everyday items, such as your office chair or electronics, which are more harmful than useful in the long run.
27 Everyday Items You Are Better Off Without
Around 40 percent of today’s candles, especially scented ones, contain lead wires within the wicks, as shown in a U.S. CPSC study. They are used to strengthen the wicks. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says these candles release 5 times the amount of lead regarded as dangerous for children, an amount which also surpasses the EPA’s pollution standards for outdoor airs.
Exposure to high amounts of lead can cause behavioral problems, hormone disruption, and learning disabilities. To avoid these health risks, use beeswax candles with cotton wicks.
2. Air Fresheners
According to a study conducted by the Natural Resources Defense Council, most of the 13 analyzed common household air fresheners contain chemicals which can worsen asthma and cause problems with the reproductive development. Some of them are carcinogens, such as phthalate.
In 2008, Anne Steinemann of the University of Washington discovered that all chemicals released by air fresheners are harmful and toxic by federal laws. They don’t have safe exposure levels, and are carcinogens. What’s more, not a single chemical released from a household air freshener is part of the Material Safety Data Sheets. Use essential oils instead of air fresheners as a safer alternative to fragrances.
Most conventional shampoos contain various toxic chemicals in an amount that is dangerous to our health. To avoid any health risk related to these products, use homemade shampoos.
4. Insecticides and Pesticides
Most lice, flea, and tick control products contain potentially carcinogenic ingredients not only for pets, but also for humans. Some of them are permethrin, carbamates, and organophosphate insecticides.
5. Shower Curtains
That’s right. Plastic shower curtains are another household item that releases toxins known as volatile organic chemicals or VOCs, in your bath, shower, and entire home.
6. Art Supplies
Numerous researchers have suggested that the content of art supplies include dangerous chemicals linked to organ damage, cancer, and allergies. Some of them are Epoxy, permanent markers, rubber cement glues, solvents, and acrylic paints.
Children are especially endangered by these items, since their immune system is not fully developed and because of their higher metabolism, which is why they are more prone to the harmful effects.
The not fully developed immune system of children and their faster metabolism, make them most prone to the harmful properties of these chemicals. Instead, use green, non-toxic alternatives.
The content of most conventional antiperspirants and deodorants includes many harmful chemicals linked to virulent cancers. These chemicals can be absorbed through the skin, as they usually remain there for hours. This of course causes various health issues. The best and safest option is to use homemade antiperspirants and deodorants, for which you can find many recipes online.
8. Ajax Cleanser (Colgate- Palmolive. Inc.)
Colgate-Palmolive Inc. is the manufacturer of one of the most popular cleansers in the world – Ajax Cleanser. However, the label of this product doesn’t list the toxic chemical called crystalline silica, even though it’s been found in its content. This chemical has been related to cancer, and lung, skin, and eye irritation. Material Safety and Data Sheet has listed this chemical as carcinogenic around 20 years ago.
9. Whole Milk (Borden, Lucerne, etc.)
The label of whole milk hides the following toxins:
- ANTIBIOTICS – some antibiotics are carcinogenic and can cause resistance and/or allergies.
- DDT – a carcinogenic xenoestrogen
- HEPTACHLOR – a neurotoxic carcinogenic xenoestrogen
- DIELDRIN – a carcinogenic xenoestrogen
- HEXACHLOROBENZENE – a neurotoxic carcinogenic reproductive toxin
- RECOMBINANT BOVINE GROWTH HORMONE plus IGF-1 – it can cause colon, prostate, and breast cancer
10. Alberto VO5 Conditioner (Main Ingredient of Neutral Henna)
You can see all the toxins on the label, including:
- FORMALDEHYDE – this carcinogenic/neurotoxic substance can cause contact dermatitis
- FRAGRANCE – it’s a term that covers few ingredients which can cause contact dermatitis
- POLYSORBATE 80 – polluted with the carcinogenic compound called 1,4-dioxane
- FDC RED #4 – linked to cancer
11. Talcum powder (Johnson & Johnson Inc.)
It can cause lung irritations and ovarian cancer.
12. Crest Tartar Control Toothpaste (Procter and Gamble Inc.)
Here are some of the toxic ingredients included in its content:
- SACCHARIN – carcinogenic
- FDC BLUE #1 – carcinogenic
- FLUORIDEE – A potential carcinogenic
13. Covergirl Natural Finish Makeup (Procter and Gamble Inc.)
Some of the toxic ingredients found in this popular product are:
- Triethanolamine – once combined with nitrites, it forms carcinogenic nitrosamines
- Fragrance – it stands for many toxic, unlabeled, and untested compounds related to contact dermatitis
- Lanolin – often “enriched” with carcinogenic pesticides and DDT
- Parabens – associated with contact dermatitis
- Talc –associated with lung irritations and cancer
- Bha – a carcinogenic
14. Zodiac Cat and Dog Flea Collar (produced by Sandoz Agro Inc.)
It contains PROPOXUR – a carcinogenic and neurotoxic ingredient.
15. Beef Frankfurters such as those from Oscar Mayer Foods
It includes the following unlabeled toxins:
- Carcinogenic and feminizing hormones
- Carcinogenic and allergy-causing antibiotics
- Lindane – neurotoxic, carcinogenic compound which kills blood-producing cells
- Hexaclhorobenzene – carcinogenic, teratogenic, and neurotoxic
- DDT– carcinogenic, xenoestrogen
- Benzene hexachloride – a carcinogenic
- Dieldrin – xenoestrogen, carcinogenic
- Dachtal – sensitizer, irritant, and carcinogenic (it might contain dioxin)
- Heptachlor – neurotoxic, xenoestrogen, carcinogenic, and reproductive toxin
Here is the labeled toxic ingredient:
- Nitrite –in combination with meat amines it can create nitrosamines, and cancer in kids.
16. Ortho Weed B-Lawn Weed Killer by Monsanto Co.
You can see the following labeled toxin:
Sodium 2,4 D (2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetate) – a reproductive toxin, neurotoxic, and a carcinogenic. It might cause tissue sarcoma, lymphoma and different types of cancer.