This holiday season, stave off a cold with all-natural homemade cough drops. They’re easy to make, healthier than the store-bought version, and even make great gifts!
This recipe from The Coconut Mama uses just three ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 cup raw local honey, a teaspoon cinnamon.
Here’s how it’s done:
1) Scoop coconut oil into a mixer bowl and beat until whipped.
2) Add honey and cinnamon and whip until mixed.
3) Pour the mixture into small ice cube trays.
4) Freeze the cough drops until hard, approximately 20 minutes.
5) Pop the cough drops out of the ice cube tray and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you don’t have coconut oil at home, try this wintry recipe from Hello Glow:
1/2 cup water, 1 cup evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, powdered sugar for coating
1) Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or greasing
2) In a heavy-bottomed pot or saucepan, combine all ingredients, except for the powdered sugar
3) Cook at 300°F until the mixture is at a hard crack stage. This may take between 15-20 minutes, or longer depending on the pan and stove. To test, use a spoon to drop a bit into a bowl of ice water. If it cracks, it’s ready. If it’s chewy, cook for a few more minutes.
4) Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
5) Drop onto baking sheet into rounds. Allow to cool completely.
6) Dust with the powdered sugar and store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place away from any moisture. They can also be dusted and wrapped individually in small pieces of waxed or parchment paper
If you need something a bit stronger to knock out that persistent cold, try this DIY cough syrup from Thrive Market. You will need 1 cup raw honey, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons fresh sage.
1) Simmer honey, lemon juice, and sage over medium heat.
2) Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.
3) Use a sieve to strain into a small jar with a lid. Let cool and store in refrigerator up to one month
When you are not feeling well, drink 1 to 2 tablespoons to relieve a cough.
Help you friends this cold season! SHARE this article on social media.